When it comes to questioning you “Can dogs eat pineapple?”, you would probably think that the question has 50% yes and 50% no of the answer.
People who are not taking care of dogs may feel strange to wonder whether or not the dogs can eat pineapple since it is commonly found that dogs always eat poop.
If you are not sure enough about how the dogs can eat pineapple, here this article is coming to show you anything related to answer the question. You will find out soon that the idea of feeding the dogs with pineapple is working well.
- Pineapple In General
- Nutrients in Pineapple
- Homemade Pineapple Meal Recipes
- Things To Remember
- The Top Tips
Pineapple In General
Pineapple is one of the favorite fruits for people. It is not only juicy but also tart, sweet and tangy.
Categorized as a tropical cluster fruit which is specifically coming from Bromeliaceae fruit family, pineapple contains 85% water and the remainder contains some essential minerals and vitamins not only for people but also for animals, one of which is the dog.
It means that pineapple is generally healthy due to the nutrients contents.
This fact is not uncommon since all people around the world agree this fruit is good for human health as well as animal’s health.
Described so, pineapple are consumed more for dogs now. Believe it or not, some dog lovers begin to think of feeding their dogs with pineapple.
Nutrients in Pineapple
So you are wondering what nutrients contained in pineapple, now you can briefly find out in this article about pineapple’s nutrients.
The raw and ripe pineapple contains a lot of vitamin C along with folate, vitamin B6, niacin, riboflavin and thiamin. Besides vitamins, pineapple is also rich of minerals including manganese, copper, iron, potassium, magnesium and small amount of phosphorous, calcium and zinc.
These nutrients make the fruit a nutrient-dense snack which is good either for humans or dogs particularly for the digestive health and immune system.
Can dogs eat pineapple? Now you can assume that the rich nutrients contained in this fruit are at least good for health.
You may still wonder how good and how safe the pineapple for dogs is. Thus, you will find the answer soon in the following sections.
Is Pineapple Good and Safe For Dogs?
How safe the pineapple for dogs depends much on how much of the pineapple you give to the dogs. It is also related to the way you serve the pineapple to the dogs.
Based on the fact that all the vitamins and minerals make the pineapple a wonderful choice for dogs, you must still be careful in the way you are feeding them a pineapple.
Pineapple is high fiber. It also contains a significant amount of natural sugar.
This means that this fruit is good to serve in small quantities since it carries an adverse effects on the dog’s digestive system if it is fed in large amount of quantities.
When pineapple is firstly fed, the dogs may get diarrhea or show signs of an upset stomach.
This can be one of the factors that you must pay attention when eating pineapple is the first experience for your dogs.
Later, you can make a serving suggestion to treat your dog well with the pineapple so that you can find that pineapple is good for dogs.
In relation to how good the pineapple for dogs, the raw pineapple in small amounts is an excellent snack for dogs. Most dogs like a few chunks of raw pineapple.
This way, you can provide them with the peeled and a bite-sized pieces of pineapple.
It is also suggested to feed them with the frozen pieces of pineapple which can be delicious meal treat in the summer. Your dogs will like it.
What Pineapple Nutrients Do The Dog Need?
Can dogs eat pineapple? Surely they can. It is because there are some pineapple nutrients that the dog need. Just like a human, the dogs need a balanced diet and some important nutrients.
In this concern, there are typically 6 important nutrients for your dogs. Those are carbohydrates, fat, minerals, protein, vitamins and water.
All of the above nutrients should be mixed completely to provide enough nutrients for the dogs.
By giving them pineapple, you provide them with water, vitamins, minerals, water and carbohydrates.
This is considered as the balanced diet for dogs to make them stay healthier and even live longer.
What’s more? This way, pineapple fruit offers your dogs the most substantial two contents which are vitamin C and manganese. Vitamin C will let your dog to build and repair skin, ligaments and other tissue in the body.
Meanwhile, the manganese is a mineral helping your dogs to activate some particular enzymes.
Other pineapple nutrients that the dogs need are the Thiamine, Vitamin B6 and Folate. These nutrients can actually help boost the immune system of the dogs.
Now you can tell me that you are sure to feed your dog with pineapple, can’t you?
Why Do The Dogs Have To Eat Pineapple?
If you are asking why the dogs need to eat pineapple, we have one more crucial reason than just some nutrients contained in pineapple which are god for dogs.
Do you know? It is terribly hard to stop the habit of your dog eating his poop only. Frequently, you will see your dog eating his poop from day to day up to some years later and forever.
They are just eating the poop without rhyme or even a single reason. Although Jessica Potosky, the Doctor of Veterinarian Medicine, say that nothing can stop a dog eating the poop, however, feeding the dog with pineapple can be a good idea to stop the dog eating the poop only.
You may think that poop is the forever typical diet for the dogs and you can see them eating the poop just fine. However, you can stop it and do better thing for them by providing them with nutritious and healthy fruit.
Thus, pineapple is one of the ideas how to stop your dogs eating poop for the rest of their life.
What Part Of Pineapple Can The Dogs Eat?
So you are asking again “Can dogs eat pineapple?” The answer is yes, definitely. However, not all parts of the pineapple are eaten by the dogs. On the other words, only certain parts of this fruit can be eaten by the dog.
There are three parts of pineapple you have to know. Those are pineapple core, pineapple flesh and pineapple skin. Pineapple skin and core are not good for dogs, even these two parts of the fruits are dangerous due to the potential choking hazard.
It would be very difficult for the dogs to digest the core and skin. The skin is terribly hard, spikey and choking.
Thus, the only part of pineapple which the dogs can eat is the flesh. This way, you can provide your dogs with small bite-sized chunks.
They will be able to eat the chunks easily and enjoy the fruits because you have made the chunks in the proper size to allow them chew the fruit.
Just like for human, flesh is the best part of a fruit to eat for dogs. The vitamins and minerals are mostly found in the flesh. Furthermore, flesh is easy to chew especially by an adorable animal like dog.
Now that you have known which part of pineapple the dogs eat, you can start to prepare pineapple meal for your lovely dogs. It will be clearly described in the next following section.
How To Prepare Pineapple For Dogs
If you have made a decision to give your dog pineapple either as a training routine or as daily snacks, make sure you know how to prepare it correctly.
Remember that the pineapple exterior skin is very hard as are the cores, too. It may cause hard choking hazard for the dogs.
Therefore, you must prepare the pineapple perfectly as in the following steps:
- Firstly, put the pineapple in a horizontal position.
- Second, remove the top and bottom off the pineapple.
- After that, you can place the pineapple in a vertical position.
- Take out the sides of the pineapple up to 1 cm depth.
- Again, place the pineapple in a horizontal position.
- The next step is to cut the pineapple into 2 cm slices.
- Don’t forget to remove the core out of the slice.
- Lastly, chunk the remaining pineapple slices into cubes of 2cm.
To serve the pineapple as a good delicious snack, make sure you always prepare the pineapple into small bite-sized cubes to let your dogs consume easily.
In this case, the smaller the bite-size chucks, the easier the dog will eat them. This is aimed to avoid eating obstructions.
Dealing with the way you are preparing the pineapple snacks for the dogs perfectly, there are also five rules you have to check out. Those are:
- Always take out the skin and core of the pineapple before you cut the fruit into small chunks. This is how you can treat the dog well.
- If your dog weighs 30-pounds, you need to feed him 8 chunks of pineapple in a day. This is due to the rules that dog should not exceed 10% of the dog’s calorie intake.
- Don’t feed your dog with pineapple for the whole day. Feed him only in the meal times or as a reward after presenting a good behavior to you.
- Since pineapple contains a lot of vitamin C, you can’t take pineapple as the main diet for the dog. Use the pineapple chunks only as snacks. Thus, let your dog eat his main food and have the pineapple chunks in the snack-time.
- Never feed your dog with the pineapple chunks during the first formative weeks because the dog must be on a diet along with his own nutritious needs.
After reading this section, are you already satisfied to answer the question “Can dogs eat pineapple?” I am sure, you will feel certain to feed your dog with pineapple although you haven’t finished reading this article yet.
Homemade Pineapple Meal Recipes
Homemade meal is always considered healthy and trusted. You can have the meal nutritious, clean, healthy and no chemical addition.
Homemade meal can be produced by yourself or you can also derive it from friends and other people who specifically provide the homemade meal. This way, the meal will also be safe for the consumer since it is naturally made.
Just like for human, homemade pineapple meal offers your dog a benefit of healthy food. Here are the options you can consider:
The Homemade Blond Cook of Pineapple
The first pineapple mead you can produce yourself is the homemade blond cook pineapple. This is the first pineapple meal you can naturally and safely produce.
What ingredient you have to prepare include the 8 oz crushed pineapple, ¼ olive oils, 1 large egg, 1/3 molasses, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 cups of flour, 1 ½ tsp baking powder and baking soda.
Next, after preparing the ingredients, you can start blending the ingredients into a delicious and nutritious meal for your dog.
The second homemade pineapple meal you can try to prepare by yourself is the doggy dessert. In this case, you need to prepare the ingredients including 10 oz pure pineapple.
Although it is now ready for canned pineapple, your dog will be healthier by your fresh or frozen homemade pineapple meal that you produce by yourself.
Other ingredients you should prepare are 1 medium sweet potato which has already been cooked and mashed, 2 cups of brown rice flour and ½ cups oats.
Try to have a look while you are feeding the dog with these homemade pineapple meals. I am sure, the dog will love the meals treats.
You can also monitor the dogs healthy eating habits, right? In shorts, preparing the homemade pineapple meals for dogs is considered the most excellent ideas to treat the animal you really love. As a result, if you treat the dogs well, the you will have a healthier playmate.
Things To Remember
Can the dog east pineapple? Through the more explanation we have shared especially about how good the pineapple snack for dogs, why you must let the dog eat pineapple and how to prepare the healthier pineapple meals for them, you can be 90% sure to let your dog eat pineapple.
Nevertheless, when you have taken a decision to feed the dog with the pineapple snacks or homemade pineapple meals, there are still several things to remember.
This means that you can’t let the dog consume the pineapple uncontrollably. They can eat this kind of fruit but only if you are paying attention of how much amount of pineapple you serve based on the nutrition rules.
Here are the things to remember in the feeding time:
- Don’t give too much fruits or veggies to your dog since the fruits and veggies must not exceed 20% of the dog’s diet. It is best suggested that only 10% of the dog’s calories can be consumed by the right treats.
- If you have a 30 pounds dog or around, you have to know that the dog require 500 calories per day. Approximately, you can only feed your dog not more than 8 cubes of pineapple.
Please pay more attention about this calorie need. In this case, you can use the Waltham healthy weight maintenance to know the specific number of calories that the dog should consume.
- The third thing to remember about treating the dog with pineapple meal is that you must always serve the dog a sensible meal and treat the right portion.
It is because the dog must go on his life cycle along with the suitability of his calorie and diet change.
- You must also remember to give the dog pineapple when he succeed in achieving a good behavior or training other skill. The pineapple snack or meal can be a reward for the dog.
- Dogs are the masters of emotion. They often beg for food. However, you don’t have to feed them just because you are feeling guilty or sympathetic toward the dogs.
Remember, they can’t stay healthier if they eat too much. In other words, overfeeding the dogs can cause them in a harmful health result.
In short, you must always use the guidance to feed your dog with pineapple. Feed the dog in-between meal time, on your terms and as a reward only. Well, this is what we want to emphasize.
The Top Tips
Before we go to the final words, there will always be the top tips given in the article. The list of the top tips below will lead you to understand the whole article briefly. Now you may check out the top tips as follows:
- Avoid the canned pineapple to feed your dog. There must be syrup preservative in the can that is dramatically increasing the sugar content.
- Feed the dog with pineapple only for an occasional treat. It is because a dog’s digestive system is not designed to process a high level of sugar.
- Make the pineapple chunks as small as possible to enable the dog chews the chunks easier without any significant obstructions.
- Homemade pineapple meals are much recommended. Try to find more recipes to make the meals by yourself since the meals you are producing by yourself will be healthier and safer to consume by the dog.
- The dog’s feces may smell very bad after eating the pineapple. To help you get rid of the bad smell of the feces, you must pick up the faces and clean the place as soon as possible.
- Don’t hesitate to consult to the local vet about the behavioral issues occurred. This tip to have consultation with the vet is a good idea not only to consult about the behavioral issues but also the way you feeding the dog with the right meal and the right portion.
- Don’t let your dog eat the pineapple before you finish chopping the pineapple in a suggested size.
- Always keep an eye on the dog after you feed him and see if there is any significant change. Make sure the dog’s systems incorporate in a healthy way.
- If you find the dog feeling upset or has stomachache after eating pineapple, perhaps, pineapple is not the best fruit for him.
Can dogs eat pineapple? YES! You may draw a conclusion out of the brief and clear description we have just shared in this article.
According to the nutrients contained in pineapple, the reason why you must treat the dogs to eat pineapple and the way you prepare the pineapple snacks and meals for the dogs, it is concluded that pineapple is good for the dogs.
Never worry to feed the dogs with the pineapple as long as you follow the guidance given in this article.
It is best expected that you do not miss a single explanation in the article so that you can make yourself sure that you treat the dog well with the pineapple.
Don’t forget to pay more attention to read the sections of things to remember and the top tips since those parts are the highlights of the whole article.
Believe it or not, treating the dog well will make you able to have a wonderful and attractive as well as adorable playmate to play with.
The healthier the dog, the less worry you will be if the dog is going to play with you and your kids.
Now that you read the whole part or the article, you may feel relief to feed your dog with the pineapple just like you. You can also invite your dogs to enjoy the pineapple chunks with you in a picnic time.Sharing is Caring...